1/6/09

Car Accident...




Today as we were headed home from Carilyn's check-up we were involved in a four car accident.  The weather here has been severely cold which makes the roads extremely slick.  We had studded tires put on our van over Christmas which helped this accident be less severe. 

We were headed south on the main highway, New Seward, going through the last light before traffic speeds up to 55 and then 65 mph.  Three vehicles in front of me was a Ford truck that started to slide, so she slowed down and began to veer off the side of the road.  She had control of her vehicle, but the Dodge Durango behind her didn't realize what she was doing and began to spin out of control.  Between the Dodge and us was a Subaru of some sort that swerved to the right and avoided hitting the Durango.  Unfortunately for us I didn't see all this happening and when the Subaru swerved, I then directly hit the Dodge Durango on the driver side as he was spinning.  I wasn't going very fast when I hit, but it did some good damage to the van.  The Ford truck and Subaru were minimally damaged and the Dodge and I had the most damage done.  We were all okay and Quarton kept telling the cops and other drivers as they came to our door how we "bumped" cars with the spinning car in front of us.  Kids are so perceptive.  

The van was able to drive away from the accident, but now we have to get it in the shop to get fixed.  Fortunately for us we can deal with only having one car for a while.  God had his hand on us during this accident and I thank Him for his protection.  This has made me slow down even more on our roads and to pay attention to other drivers.  They are the ones who have caused my family and I to be in two car accidents since we moved here.  Take your time and be careful!!

2 comments:

keenbliss said...

Yikes! Glad you guys were OK. By the way, I didn't even know you had a van!

Mike and Jamie said...

Yep...we're also glad nobody was hurt! Lil axil greese and duck tape and your van would be good to go (; We can't believe lil Q is 3 already. How time flies. Carolyn is gorgeous. Caden said so...judging by the drool coming out of his mouth (;